onsdag 2 november 2016

The joy of 7/8 sleeves

In my current burst of research of  Italian fashions of the first half of the 14th century I've found many things that have made me very happy and inspired. (I use the word research in a wide, general sense, here, I've been going through lots and lots of images, but I haven't read any scholarly works on it or any primary written sources, so it's not "real" research, like that which I do on 17th century Swedish manners of dress).
One thing is that there are many examples of 7/8 or possibly 9/10 sleeves, and I've always liked that length. Yes, long 14th century sleeves which reach the knuckles are very cool and sexy, but in the mundane world I've always been fond of 7/8 sleeves on tops - partly because I have relatively short arms and all full length sleeves have to be folded, but also because my wrists are one of the parts of my body that I'm happy with how they look (my eyebrows is the other one. I don't pluck them to shape, just occasionally, when I have the energy, remove some hairs on the nose where they want to grow together)

Some paintings where the women's wrists are bare, without the tunics being folded up:
Ambrogio Lorenzetti: The Allegory of Good and Bad Government painted 1338-39, details:





Camposanto Monumentale, Piazza dei Miracoli, Pisa,Tuscany, Italy. Fresco attributed to Buonamico Buffalmacco, 'Last Judgement' (detail lower right corner, The Damned), c. 1336-1341


Taddeo Gaddi, 1328:


Pietro Lorenzetti: Birth of the Virgin, 1342, detail:

Pietro Lorenzetti, St. Agnes, ca 1329:


Pseudo Jacopino, St. Lucia, 1329








Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar