torsdag 15 februari 2024

The further tale of the (13th-14th century) mantle

Continued from this post: The tale of the Mantle four years later.

So, I finished the actual mantle in the end of last year. But I decided that I wanted a whole set of clothes from this silk taffeta. While people were exceedingly fond of contrasting colours in the Middle Ages, coordinated sets were also common. I have written about it here and here, dsicussing the phenomenon in gerneal, and the trosseau of Isabella de Bruce from 1293. Matching cottes, surcoats and cloaks are also commonly seen in early and mid. 14th century art.

I will write much more about the set, the construction, the inspiration etc when it isall finished. Right now I just wanted to show the cloak and the cotte. And the beginning of the surcoat.




It is extremely hard to see the vines on the cloak in photos, you will just have to believe me, see it in person, or wait for summer and better light. Or possibly make it out in this detail shot.


Some more photos. The cloak is lined in a shot blue/green silk taffeta. And yes, I wanted to look like a fairy tale queen. I have now had the same really bad cold for 5 months, my arthritis is killing me and judging from the pain I have an ulcer again. So I deserve dressing up as a beautiful queen.


The fastenings


I am currently working on the surcoat, which will be split at the sides, like so many Italian surcoats from this period. It will have flowers all over, and like the cotte it will have a smaller version of the front borders from the cloak at the cuffs, but also around the neck and along the side slits.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar