lördag 25 maj 2019

A quick Venetian flag fan

Since I now have a Venetian 16th century gown, and since I hope that Double Wars, where I'm going tomorrow will have at least some sunny and warm weather I decided that I needed to make myself a flag fan.

Some quick googling found this awesome page, and there I learned that only young maids and newly married youg women had white fans, while old matrons like myself had painted fans.

I really want to make a proper one, probably from parchment with cut out pattern, and embroidery, and a fancy handle, one day, but for now I made it simple, and from not very period materials:

a dowel
some beads from a hippie necklace
cotton broadcloth (well, that's period)
cotton fringe (ditto)
acrylic paint

First I wanted to copy a 16th century painting of Venus, because they apparently often had slightly risque motifs painted on them, but I didn't find one that I liked, and I was too tired from my arthirtis and infections to look around more than an hour or so. So I made a painting of Diana, and possibly not a very renaissance one, on one side, and my arms on the other side.

And it really cools wonderfully during a hot flush ;)



And tomorrow I leave for Double wars.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar