torsdag 13 juni 2019

A new 16th century knitting project

As you might have seen I have made several flat caps from the Gagiana pattern that Marion McNealy constructed  based on a preserved flat cap from the 1583 Italian shipwreck of the same name.

Two of them


I also used the same pattern as starting point for one of those 17th century knitted tall hats that they have found in Denmark.

 


Photo by me, from the National museum in Copenhagen

That one wasn't a perfect success, so if I make another one I will make some adaptations to the pattern.

But, happy as I am with the Gagiana pattern - it is easy to follow and makes excellent flat caps - I have now had the opportunity to have closer looks at preserved flat caps at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, plus photos from other museum collections and I have come to the conclusion that at least most of them are made from thinner yarn than worsted. I also want to make a split overlapping brim. I know that there are patterns for that which you can buy, but I'm cheap too ;)  So I may have to make my own pattern (how hard can it be? Famous last words). I am making it for Sir Måns, because my husband doesn't wear 16th century.

I was thinking about using fingering weight, but then I fell in love with this sport weight yarn.  It is from a local spinning mill, and really nice to work with. 

I started with knitting a swatch, which will later be hand (or foot) fulled). it is 35 stitches and 25 rows on (from bottom) 3 mm, 2,5 and 2 mm needles. I'm sort of hoping that the 2,5 mm will be fine enough.


Now I will measure the swatch before felting. "Now" as in when I have worked some more on an article for The Journal of Dress history.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar