torsdag 6 juni 2019

Maintenance Monday...and week

Someone in Drachenwald started the idea of "Maintenace Mondays", when you take care of you historical clothing and other stuff needed for our hobby. I don't keep with it regularly, because generally I am so good at fixing stuff that I don't have anything to do in that field most Mondays.
   But after a big event such as Double Wars there is of course a lot of things to do: like cleaning the bottom of your wool gowns (which are white wool or lined with white wool), with a sturdy brush and soap. And washing all your linens.

But I also re-made this bed spread, made from wool and fake fur:

Before:




I made it 13 years ago or so, when I was a member of another medieval group, and it has the devices that my husband and I had registered within that society. When we (re-)joined the SCA we couldn't register exactly the same devices, but of course I could still use my bed spread.

It was, however, made when Rickard and I, and little Maja, still slept on two 90 centimetres wide foam matresses and thus way too big for our new 120 centimetre bed (which Maja doesn't slep in ;) ) Still, I made it work reasonably well. Until this Monday when I decided to remove the fake fur and cut it down to make a smaller bedspread (from 210 to 170 cm). And when the fur was removed I could just as well re-make the devices.

It's a bit wrinkly in the photo, partly because of the lumpy bed under it, partly because it had been packed in a very full plastic tub while slightly damp. It will get better.


But now it will fit our bed better, and have the correct devices.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar