As I have mentioned before my rose pink Italian 15th century gown was really made just so that I coul have something to wear under historically inspired gown I made for my wedding; to make the outfit hsitorical and not just Pre-Raphaelite fantasy. Like the undergown it was of course too big now, so I had to take it in, and this is the result - som quick photos taken indoors.
This is how it looked when I wore it last time, before re-making, in 2012.
I am extremely grateful to the Flickr-account "Scene in the Past", which provides so many fashion plates from this period.
La Belle Assemblé: "Sea side bathing dress" from 1815. This dress was not used for actual bathing (the hat sghould be a giveaway), where people appear to have bathed in the nude, in shifts or in special bathing costumes made up of tunics and wide trousers.
I have a tendency to get very enthusiastic about new thigns, so what I did yesterday is not so strange: I started on a pair of late 18th century transitional stays. My friend Anna has chosen the very late 18th century as her period for our upcoming regency picnic which of course fueled my enthusiasm. Since I had already bought white thin cotton to make a round gown to be worn either seperately or with an open gown, the idea was there already. It was mainly the timing that was affected, since I had thought about making this later in the autumn.
Well, that was not to be: having run out of hand sewing projects that I could work on in the evenings - the embroidered smock I am making for my daughter Valeria requires good lighting and eyes that are not tired - I needed another project. I started with the skirt for the round gown, which will have two rows of very pretty coral pink silk tabby ribbon around the hem. I could not, however start on the bodice before I had decided whether to wear it with my slightly later regency stays, or make a new, late 18th century pair.
And yesterday I decided to go for it. I dug out some strong linen for the stays, my just a little bit too large effigy stays to have some idea of size, and an extremly sturdy polycotton twill that I use for mock-ups for stays.
I also looked around on the internet and found several useful blog posts to help me figure out what I wanted to do.
Most of these mentioned the book Corsets by Jill Salen, and I have ordered it on ILL, but of course I couldn't wait for that to arrive. So by studying the pictures on Rococo Atelier, which showed both her version with cups, and the original pattern with a gusset I came up with a pattern that I tried with enough success to go on to cutting the linen.
I got as far as making all the lacing holes on one front piece yesterday, and the rest this morning, and I have now also sewn all the boning channels on machine. Yesterday I was sorely tempted to make it all by hand, but sense prevailed, I have lots of real life work and many other projects to work on.
Since I don't have any white bias tape at home, and I'm not that interested in making some I am now going to take a walk downtown and get it, as well as catch some pokemon.