lördag 8 september 2018

Blue

I felt so very, very pretty in my pink Saxon court gown, thrown together just for a themed party at Double Wars this year.


So I decided that I needed to make a slightly more historically correct one. I say slightly, because I will be using cotton velvet, but it's better than nylon velvet or whatever this gown was made from. 

I just have to decide if I'm going to have stripes from damask or from velvet, and how many, which design to use for the sleeves etc.

Blue isn't the most common colour in early 16th century German female dress, but I have collected quite a few of them.

Lucas Cranach:

Hunting near Hartenfels Castle


Das Sächsische Stammbuch




The Fountain of Youth


Don't remember the title, but it's from 1537, that I know.


Other artist from the Germanic areas

Uta von Schauenburg holding a dog from Weingartener Stifterbüchlein (circa 1510)


(1509-1510) Switzerland -  Basel, Universitätsbibliothek AN II 3 Matriculation Register of the Rectorate of the University of Basel, Volume 1 (1460-1567)


Splendor Solis, Das grosse Waschfest vor der Stad,1531


More Splendor Solis



Albrecht Altdorfer:


Austrian 1510-1520



c. 1501 Hans Burckmaier - Triumph of Maximilian I



Bernhard Strigel - Bride picture of a patrician lady


Suzanna of Bavaria, Margravine of Brandebourg-Culmbach by Barthel Beham


Masquerade, c. 1515 Rosenwald Collection








 Kantonsbibliothek Appenzell Ausserrhoden, CM Ms. 13






Some of these are lower class gowns, which would have been made from wool or wool mix fabrics, but s you can see there are also examples from the nobility. 

I have yellow damask that would look nice with my teal blue velvet and I coudl be inspired by the examples from the Sächsiche Stammbuch. But I would also feel like I'm wearing the Swedish flag.
I need to think about it some more.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar