onsdag 1 januari 2020

New year's dress à la 1919/1920

Like everyone else I have seen all the posts of: "next year the 1920s starts again" or something similar. And they are all of them illustrated with imgaes of women in dress from ca 1925/26, when the dresses were at their shortest.
And that didn't really sit right with me, so when I decided to make a 1920s outfit for my New years eve with the family I looked at images from 1919 and 1920,even if they were harder to find on the internet. I think that I may be a little more 1921 than 1920, but I was also limited to using fabric that I already had: a remnant of velvet and a second hand table cloth which was made from embroidered tulle.

 

Here you can hopefully see the velvet roses at the hips.



I am very happy with how my hair turned out.



Some of my inspiration images:

For the general shape, with the tunic on top:
Tea dress pattern from Butterick 1919:


A photo of Tyra Eriksson from Vänersborg (which is rather close to my home village) from 1919. From Vänersborg's museum, via the Digitalt museum website.



New Ideas Quarterly from 1918


Vogue fashion plate June 1919


Les modes de la femmes de France 1919



1920s day dress from Butterick, for the waistline and the focus on width over the hips


A lovely evening gown from 1920. The waist is below the natural waist, but not yet at the hips.


French fashion drawings, February 1920:

 

Les modes de la femmes de France, 1920










I really, really wanted to make a robe de style, but unfortunately they are from later in the 1920s. But there will be more opportunities - maybe even to wear a 1920s gown outside the home ;)


2 kommentarer:

  1. Your hair looks lovely, and so does the dress! Happy New Year!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thank you! Belated Happy new year to you to!

    SvaraRadera