måndag 3 augusti 2020

A late 16th - early 17th century kirtle from linsey wolsey




I haven't done much 16th century the last years: two German gowns, one more for fun than anything serious (it was a rose themed party and I made it in a week), and a Venetian gown which has now temporarily been turned into a fantasy gown
But once I had lots of 16th century garb (well, technically I still have it) and once in a while I feel the urge to make something from this period. Now I feel it stronger, because I miss my Mistress Helwig, and the other members of House Duck and Three Scissors, people who often wear and make 16th century clothing. So one reason why I started this kirtle is to connect to SCA friends that I can't see in person now.

The other reason for making this is that next year Gothenburg celebrates its 400th anniversary and I have planned to make a burgher's class outfit from 1621 and luckily the shape of kirtles, as far as we can deduce from artwork from the period didn't change that much, or at all, so with thew correct jacket and headwear, apron, and ruffs it ought to work. It is nice to be able to wear the things you make more than once.

Except for the boninng channels in the linen lining - I used the layout of Dorothea Sabina's stays, it is all hand sewn. the lining f the bodice is two layers of linen and the top fabric is a 50% linen 50% wool fabric. The guards at the bottom of the skirt are fulled wool.

Obviously I am not correctly dressed in these photos - my hair is put up with a scrunchie!

Under the kirtle I am wearign my first hand sewn linen 16th century smock, which is now 20 years old, and a rather stiff fustian petticoat. In the photo to the right I am also wearing a small roll stuffed with cotton batting, but not in the left, I have lots of fluff, so I really don't need much help in that department. In the photos below I have  the roll in the photo to the left, but not in the one with the 20 year old jacket. Which is based only on Drea Leed's doublet, I had no research on my own about 16th century costume when I made it ;) 


The coif and forehead cloth that I am wearing is machine embroidered by my friend Alfhild as a gift when I became a member of the Order of the Laurel. Hair is still in a scrunchie under it ;)

2 kommentarer:

  1. That kirtle is such a lovely color! Thanks for posting the pictures of it.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thank you! I really do love it.

    SvaraRadera