torsdag 24 september 2020

Medieval eating and serving utensils - thrift store edition

Unlike when I started playing in the SCA, an later in the Swedish group Nordrike, in the 1990s (and now I am back again in the SCA), you can nowadays get replicas of virtually any type of plate, glass, pot, dish etc that you want, from different centuries and localities. 

But that was not the case when I started, and I am conditioned by my early experience into looking for suitable things at thrift stores. Everything in these photos is from thrift stores. Most of it, including the table cloth, from Mölndals secondhand. The glasses are painted by me, inspired by Italian 14th century glasses - I have a blog post about them with sources and close-ups here

We're a family of five, so of course we need more stuff than one person. I am also fond of cooking in camp, which means that you need bowls for preparation and serving. My pots and pans are not in this photo, they're in the basement. 

The wooden plates I've had since we were only a family of four, probably 20 years now. Two of the dark ones are broken, but luckily I still have five left. I have also broken two of the matching glasses, so I will have to paint more.

Photos from slightly different angles:






I have replicas too, glass, and some pottery, and my beloved cooking pot from Krohns Krukmakeri. But lots of stuff is just things that look medieval (or renaissance) enough. 



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar