fredag 9 juni 2017

A painted chest

So, you don't only need clothes to go to events, at least not to camping events. You also need somewhere to store your clothing. 16 years ago my stepdad and I made nice solid wood chests, without nails. They were, however, both heavy and too large for our storage. We ended up leaving them with friends on Gotland, since at that time we went to Visby medieval week every year, and that was the only place we used. Seemed much smarter to pick them up there instead of lugging them across Sweden every summer.

And then we stopped going. It was so much work, and it's so much easier for us to go to Double Wars, the other great camping event in Sweden. Of course you miss out on the lovely medieval town and all the concerts, lectures and other happenings, but it really was too much work. We may go again, but we haven't done it for six years.

So then our big chests ended up on Gotland, and since I couldn't figure out a way to get them here, and we really didn't have the space anyway, I donated them to people on Gotland.

For Double Wars I used a couple of chests made from wood chip. But one of them is getting old and rickety and they also have this very 19th- 20th century look. So I decided to make two breakdown plywood chests, inspired by the ones made by House Greydragon. My plan was to have them finished when we went to Double Wars, but with the work load that I had in April and May that was impossible. So now I am slowly putting the panels together and painting them. This far I have painted one lid and one large panel.



Thos chest will have motifs from the Grosse Heidelberger Liederhandschrift on all sides, the other one will have other courtly motifs.

1 kommentar:

  1. Very period! Are those shields the SCA heraldry of yourself and your husband?

    SvaraRadera